Today was awesome, let me tell you about it...
So. I get to my European history class today (on time, thank you) and sentimentality came over me. It is my last meeting for this class, the only class I need to transfer, before the final next Wednesday, and it has been nothing but amazing. My teacher, Dr. Schwyzer, is soo great at what he does! I've encountered few professors who tie the principles and teachings of class to the principles and teachings of the world soo eloquently and profoundly.On the first day of class he explained to us that this class was going to be a class on growing up. "Growing up?", i thought, "how is he going to teach us about growing up when we have revolutions and -isms to learn about?! this should be interesting..."
Interesting it was. I have never listened to any professor so intently. Not only is he knowledgeable, he knows how to convey information in such a way that it is impossible not to internalize it. the dude's a pro.
Well on Monday, before class was dismissed, Dr. Schwyzer reminded, "Don't think I forgot about the theme of this class - growing up. I will tie this in on Wednesday. Have a good one."
Ok. so I get to class today and he wraps up WWII with the Nuremberg trials. He explained that Nazi officers, when put on trial, pleaded not guilty and that the execution of millions of innocent humans was only due to the fact that they were following orders. They were still found guilty. Why? Because they chose to follow immoral commands and they could have(and should have) chosen to use their free will and disobey.
Free will is the ability to use one's own mind. But that can be used for good and evil.
So. you're wondering what the Nazi's have to do with growing up right?
ok. So. one of the first things we learned in class was Martin Luther and his 95 Theses. 1517. Martin Luther taught that people didn't need to go to church and to pay indulgences and could progress to the next world through sola fide - faith alone. Basically one doesn't need a church nor money to connect yourself to God. by faith alone.
Then, Galileo believed in the power of reason and human intellect and because of that was forced to recant his beliefs. The power of the individual mind.
And Diderot who was concerned with human desire, and although man has the free will to fulfill those desires, one must be conscious of other people's desires too. Using consciousness.
And finally with the Nuremberg trials. It was the officers' moral obligation to disobey an immoral order.
He began to conclude, "history is a legacy of the relentless pursuit of maturity and of the persistence for people to take control of their own lives. From the start of this class, 1517, to the end, 1948, we have studied how humanity, particularly in the Western world has grown up and matured." How man has grabbed hold of its own responsibility...
"I encounter many young people, I've been teaching here at PCC for 15 years, and a lot of you say you don't see the need of having children. You don't see the point of raising kids in a world like this... the fear of the environment, the fear of the war etc.... The fact that man has grown up, that we have come from Luther to Galileo to Diderot to the Nuremberg trials shows that humanity has improved. Such improvement should make you optimistic!"
What an amazing lecture.
After lecture I head over to this cool little Thai food restaurant across the street to eat some BOMB cashew nut chicken and drink my thai iced tea. yum!
Then I get to my next class, film as dramatic literature, and we're watching Oldboy. um, so, for these few hours my day was meh.... I probably could have gone through life having not seen this movie.... yuck. Usually we watch AWESOME movies like one time we saw The Lives of Others. whoa. GREAT film. and Pan's Labyrinth. (if you haven't seen it you REALLY should. then I want to talk about it with you....)
THEN! I drove home and got something accomplished that I have been meaning to do for a while, which is the best feeling ever! I love accomplishing things!
THEN! I made the most amazing salad ever! and i think I will be okay living on my own because of it.
Then off to Feast....
ok. Feast is something i look forward to, especially lately. Lately, because I will be joining the Feasts of Davis starting September, and since I have always lived in this community, I'm trying to soak in the love shining in all the faces of my community. They're my family. My parents. Some of them to the point where I don't even have to knock on the door....(i have tears)
So. Today was an amazing Feast. It began with a recording the hostess (to the mostess) had of a chant for the Baha'i friends imprisoned in Iran. It was one of the most beautiful Things I have ever heard. I had none stop chills running up my body the entire time. And tears streaming down my face.
Following the devotional portion, we had one of the best consultative portions EVER! Everyone had something to share and everyone was happy and joyful and it was awesome!
Then after everyone left I got to spend some special one-on-one time with my Sepeedeh. What a little love this girl is. If ever there was someone that made my heart smile so much it is surely her. sisters I tell you.
side note: I am so BLESSED to have so many amazing friends. wow. words do no justice...
Well. The day was amazing and I am so happy.
Now. Some poetry.
----------------------------------------------
(note: if you read all of that, you're pretty much awesome. so either you and i could be friends/you have no life:)
The Day is Done
The day is done, and the darkness
Falls from the wings of Night,
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight.
I see the lights of the village
Gleam through the rain and the mist,
And a feeling of sadness comes o'er me
That my soul cannot resist:
A feeling of sadness and longing,
That is not akin to pain,
And resembles sorrow only
As the mist resembles the rain.
Come, read to me some poem,
Some simple and heartfelt lay,
That shall soothe this restless feeling,
And banish the thoughts of day.
Not from the grand old masters,
Not from the bards sublime,
Whose distant footsteps echo
Through the corridors of Time.
For, like strains of martial music,
Their mighty thoughts suggest
Life's endless toil and endeavor;
And to-night I long for rest.
Read from some humbler poet,
Whose songs gushed from his heart,
As showers from the clouds of summer,
Or tears from the eyelids start;
Who, through long days of labor,
And nights devoid of ease,
Still heard his soul the music
Of wonderful melodies.
Such songs have a power to quiet
The restless pulse of care,
And come like the benediction
That follows after prayer.
Then read from the treasured volume
The poem of they choice,
And lend to the rhyme of the poet
The beauty of thy voice.
And the night shall be filled with music,
And the cares, that infest the day,
Shall fold their tents, like the Arabs,
And as silently steal away.
Henry Wadsworth Longellow
(note.2: if you read that poem you are double awesome.)
-----------------------------------------
love.

3 comments:
a wonderful day indeed, not spent, but fastened to the mind of a worthy young lady.
i watched pan's labyrinth earlier this year! discuss with meeeeee ;)
yeah i love classes that change your perspective on life. my sociology class did that for me :)
-dana
Post a Comment